About Nutfield Cemetery
The cemetery is located on the A25 Redhill to Godstone road to the west of Nutfield village and is off a parking area lay-by on the north side of the A25. You will see the fine iron gates at the centre of the parking area. It is owned and managed by Nutfield Parish Council Burial Board.
The land was originally named Pimlico Hill and the four and a half acre site was acquired by the newly formed Parish Council in 1896 from The Fullers Earth Union at a cost of £230 per acre. The costs were to be covered by a loan which Mr Charles Trentham Maw of Holmesdale kindly agreed to make to the Council; £ 2,000 at 3% interest and repayable over 30 years. (Maws baby products millionaire with 16 children!) He also financed two chapels to be erected; one Anglican, one NonConformist, constructed by Tom Bashford, a South Nutfield builder. The latter was seldom used and converted to a Mortuary in 1933. Both were demolished as they were in a state of disrepair in April 1962. You can still see the mounds in the cemetery where they were sited. The first burial recorded in the Register of Burials took place on 1 st May 1899, a Mr James Maynard – Labourer age 71, who lived in Mid Street, South Nutfield. Many ledgers have been recorded since then and even today they are written into ledgers but also into computer records and stored safely.
The Cemetery grounds full of mature trees and shrubs and we are particularly proud of the fine ornamental Yew trees as can be seen below. The area is regularly maintained by local contractors and the whole are is regarded by many as one of the most natural areas a cemetery could ever be. The new Woodland Burial Area has been created at the north side of the site, with fine views to the North Downs
The Cemetery is open to the public from 9.00am until dusk 7 days a week (including Bank Holidays). Limited parking is available outside the main entrance but access for disabled vehicles can be arranged by prior arrangement
Full burials and cremated remains take place in the Cemetery and Woodland Burial Area on weekdays and can be arranged in conjunction with the Funeral Directors you select. Full Cemetery Regulations can be found below. The Woodland Burial Area offers a more natural “green burial” alternative to the traditional and more formal burial where biodegradable coffins or caskets are used and instead of a traditional Memorial, a small slate tablet is offered with trees planted across the area in selected groups. These will create more woodland to match the two copses already planted. There is also the opportunity to have bench plaques added to NPC owned benches for a fee. More information can be found below within the Bench Policy document.
As you will have read above, our predecessors “kindly” demolished the two chapels that were on site. However we have two Churches within the Parish, St. Peter & St. Paul in Nutfield and Christ Church in South Nutfield, where services can be arranged. Nutfield Priory Hotel is almost directly opposite the Cemetery and clients have used rooms there for civil ceremonies. Use the links above if that would assist.
Views from the Cemetery
A Table of Fees and Regulations for the Cemetery and Woodland Burial Area can be downloaded from this links:
All funds go directly to the Parish of Nutfield and are used for projects and for the benefit of the parishioners.
The Council is happy to assist people in tracing friends or relatives for a fee.
How to find us
From the M25 travelling East Take junction 8 and follow the signs to Reigate and then Redhill. Pass under the railway bridge and follow the signs to the A25 Godstone.
From the M25 travelling West Take junction 6 to Redhill. Go onto the A25 via Godstone and the cemetery is on the right hand side a quarter of mile passed Nutfield village.
Satnav postcode: RH1 4HA