Woodland Burial Regulations
In these Regulations “Nutfield Burial Board (NBB)” is the operating name of the Nutfield Parish Council (NPC), “Grave” means grave, grave space or burial plot and “Memorial” includes tablet.
In all cases of interment and erection of memorials, the following Regulations must be observed:
- At least 48 hours’ notice (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays) is required of an intended interment. This notice period may be reduced where the NBB deems that it is lawful to do so.
- The hours prescribed for interments are 10.00am to 2.00pm Monday to Friday. If possible, burials outside of the stated times will be allowed by special arrangement and payment of an additional fee.
- All fees and charges are payable to NPC. Prior to any interment or memorial placement full payment must be confirmed to have been received by NPC.
- At the time of burial the relevant Parishioner/Non-Parishioner fees will correspond to the person interred.
- NBB will advise prospective purchasers which plots are available.
- Graves shall be dug in accordance with current health and safety guidelines. The responsibility of grave digging will rest with the undertaker (where appointed) in conjunction with the NBB approved grave digger. The grave digger must ensure each grave is dug in the middle of the defined grave space. After the interment, the grave must be backfilled and left undisturbed for 12 months. All excess spoil must be placed in the designated area, otherwise a fee will be charged.
- Coffins in the Cemetery and Woodland Burial area should fit the body and not exceed the standard external size of 600mm (24in) wide x 1980mm (78in) long. Ashes containers should not exceed the external size of 255mm (10in) wide x 305mm (12in) long. Any coffin/casket or container in excess of the stated size will only be permitted to be interred in our oversized coffin/casket areas. If a previously purchased plot is unused, this may result in the plot being relocated to the oversized coffin/casket areas of the Woodland Burial Area with the appropriate additional fees applied.
- Only biodegradable coffins, urns or shrouds from sustainable resources shall be used. No embalmed remains are to be interred.
- The site will be primarily managed for the benefit of wildlife and NBB has the sole discretion in the selection of planting, landscaping and maintenance of the Woodland Burial. Bird boxes that are on site are approved and managed by the RSPB and are the only permitted bird boxes allowed in the Cemetery and WBA.
- The only memorials permitted in Nutfield Woodland Burial are granite tablets engraved with the name of the deceased, year of birth and death. These must be supplied and installed by the NBB. The appropriate fee must be paid in advance. Memorials are only permitted for people who are interred in the plot.
- Bench plaques are permitted as per the bench policy available on request.
- NBB do not permit inappropriate items within grave spaces. Offending items will be removed.
- Only fresh flowers are only permitted in their natural state or held together with raffia, no other items are permitted on a grave or plot in the WBA. Any non-compliant items will be removed.
- It is not permitted to plant shrubs or trees anywhere in Nutfield Woodland Burial. Any unauthorised planting will be removed. Graves are not allowed to be tended and dug over.
- The erection of fences, wooden borders, railings or any type of surround is not permitted in or around graves or ashes plots. NBB do not permit artificial flowers, glass/ceramic/plastic vases, containers or jars, candles, lanterns, toys or ornamental figurines/animals. Balloons, candles, photographs, solar lights, bird boxes, bird feeders and wind chimes are also considered inappropriate and will not be permitted and will be removed. Scattering of bark and chippings is not allowed. No use of any pesticide/chemical (for example, but not limited to weed killer, slug pellets) are to be used.
- All graves will be assessed and topped-up where necessary after a minimum period of twelve months by a NBB approved grave digger.
- Graves must be utilized within the period of lease shown on the Grant of Exclusive Right of Burial. 50 year extensions are available once 49 years or more have elapsed.
- NBB will not generally consider any refund of fees paid unless fault is found in the NBB procedure. The final decision on the matter will be at the discretion of NPC.
- A search of the NBB registers may be made by appointment with the Nutfield Parish Clerk. An appropriate charge may be levied.
- The Burial of Ashes is not permitted unless formally authorised in writing by NBB and the appropriate fee has been paid. Ashes cannot be scattered anywhere in Nutfield Cemetery and the Woodland Burial Area. Non-Authorised interment of ashes is classed as grave tampering by NPC, which is a criminal offence and, once discovered, will result in the immediate closure of that plot for any future burials, either ashes or full burial. Proceedings will also be taken to recover the relevant fees, or failing that, the remains will be exhumed.
- The owner of the Exclusive Right of Burial is responsible for advising NBB of any change of address. Failure to notify us of a new address may result in any remedial action required in respect of the grave plot/memorial having to be taken without reference to the owner.
- Plots purchased in advance are permitted. Fees for advanced purchase will be determined by the parishioner status of the intended occupant.
- Transferring an un-used grave is subject to Burial Board approval.
- Any disputes will be determined by NPC – their decision will be final.
firstname.lastname@example.org 07722 465344
Updated – April 2023