Woodland Burial Fees & Regulations
|Purchase of Woodland Burial Plot – Grant of Exclusive Right of Burial|
|Extension to Exclusive Right of Burial (50 years)||£158||£509|
|Extension to Exclusive Right of Ashes (50 years)||£71||£223|
|Child (up to age 18)||£0||£0|
|Memorial (fee includes supply and installation)|
|Exclusive Right of Burial Transfer Fee||£80||£80|
|Burial Search Fee||£55||£55|
|Bench Memorial Plaque Fee|
|10-year renewal lease||£150||£150|
A Parishioner is defined as an inhabitant whose primary residence is within the defined Nutfield Parish. A stillborn child will qualify if one parent fulfils the definition show above.
A 7 Year Parishioner is defined as a person who is no longer living in the parish but was born or whose primary residence was within the defined Nutfield Parish within the last 7 years. On proof of residency (e.g. council tax, bank statement, electoral roll) a 60% deduction will be applied to the Non-Parishioner Purchase of Plot and Interment fees.
A burial plot will hold one full burial interment.
An ashes plot will hold one ashes interment.
Reserving any plot (burial or ashes) can be purchased in advance at the rates applicable at the time of the transaction. This is designed to help with future planning and allows Nutfield Parishioners to obtain the advantage of the discounted parishioner rate.
Note – Interment does not include the cost of digging/grave preparation.
Woodland Burial Regulations
In these Regulations “Nutfield Burial Board (NBB)” is the operating name of Nutfield Parish Council (NPC), “Grave” means grave, grave space or burial plot and “Memorial” includes tablets.
In all cases of interment and erection of memorials, the following Regulations must be observed:
- The responsibility for grave digging will rest with the undertaker (where appointed) in conjunction with a NBB approved grave digger. The Grave Digger must ensure each grave is dug in the middle of the defined grave space. After the interment, the grave must be back filled and left undisturbed for 12 months. All excess spoil must be placed in the designated area, otherwise a fee will be charged.
- Graves shall be dug in accordance with current health and safety laws and industry guidelines by a NBB approved grave digger.
- At least 48 hours’ notice (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays) is required of an intended interment. This notice period may be reduced where the NBB deems that it is lawful to do so.
- The hours prescribed for interments are 10.00am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday. If possible, burials outside of the stated times will be allowed by special arrangement and for a payment of an additional fee.
- All fees and charges are payable to NPC. Prior to any Interment or Memorial erection full payment must be confirmed to have been received by NPC.
- The site will be primarily managed for the benefit of wildlife and NBB has the sole discretion in the selection of planting, landscaping and maintenance of the Woodland Burial.
- The only memorials permitted in Nutfield Woodland Burial are granite tablets supplied and installed by the NBB. The appropriate fee must be paid in advance – please see above for the appropriate fee. Benches – Please refer to the ‘Bench policy’
NBB do not permit inappropriate items within grave spaces. Offending items will be removed.
- Floral arrangements must be maintained by those visiting graves. Floral arrangements will be removed by cemetery staff two weeks after a funeral has taken place. Any floral arrangements may be removed if they become unsightly. All wrappings/ribbons/cellophane/oasis must be removed from floral displays prior to placement and disposed of in the appropriate waste bins provided. Cemetery staff will remove any offending items if this regulation is not complied with. Wreaths will be removed by cemetery staff following a period of one month.
- Artificial flowers are not permitted and will be removed by the cemetery staff.
- It is not permitted to plant shrubs or trees anywhere in Nutfield Cemetery, Woodland Burial area or Garden of Remembrance. Any unauthorised planting will be removed.
- Only approved, non-invasive, native woodland bulbs and plants may be planted on a grave, and they must not exceed the width and length of the grave. An approved list of plants is available from NBB.
- Written authorisation must be obtained from NBB before any work is carried out to any plot.
- The erection of fences, wooden borders, railings or any type of surround is not permitted in or around graves or ashes plots. NBB does not permit glass/ceramic/plastic vases, containers or jars,
candles, lanterns, toys or ornamental figurines/animals. Balloons, candles, photographs, solar lights, bird boxes, bird feeders and wind chimes are also considered inappropriate and will not be permitted and will be removed. No scattering of bark or chippings is allowed. Bird boxes that are on site are approved and managed by the RSPB and are the only permitted bird boxes allowed in the Cemetery and WBA.
- Only biodegradable coffins, urns or shrouds from sustainable resources shall be used. No embalmed remains are to be interred.
- All graves will be levelled after a minimum period of twelve months by a NBB approved grave digger.
- NBB will not be responsible for any memorial during or after erection. The Owner concerned is solely responsible for the upkeep of the grave. This responsibility will include all maintenance and safety issues following instalment. In default of this, NBB are entitled to remove or repair any memorial as they deem fit. Any costs will be charged to the plot owner.
- Graves must be utilized within the period of lease shown on the Grant of Exclusive Right of Burial.
- NBB will not generally consider any refund of fees paid unless fault is found in the NBB procedure. The final decision on the matter will be at the discretion of NPC.
- A search of the NBB registers may be made by appointment with the Nutfield Parish Clerk. An appropriate charge may be levied.
- NBB will advise prospective purchasers which plots are available.
- Any change to an existing grave must have prior written approval from NBB. If applicable the appropriate fee must have been paid.
- Ashes cannot be scattered (either formally or informally) anywhere in the Woodland Burial Area or Nutfield Cemetery.
- The Burial of Ashes is not permitted unless formally authorised in writing by NBB and the appropriate fee has been paid.
- The owner of the Exclusive Right of Burial is responsible for advising NBB of any change of address. Failure to notify us of a new address may result in any remedial action required in respect of the grave plot/memorial having to be taken without reference to the owner.
- Any disputes will be determined by NPC – their decision will be final.
- Plots purchased in advance are permitted. Fees for advanced purchase will be determined by the parishioner status of the intended occupant.
- At the time of burial the relevant Parishioner/Non-Parishioner fees will correspond to the person interred.
- Coffins in the Cemetery and Woodland Burial area should fit the body and not exceed the standard external size of 600mm (24in) wide x 1980mm (78in) long. Ashes containers should not exceed the external size of 255mm (10in) wide x 305mm (12in) long. Any coffin/casket or container in excess of the stated sizes will require the purchase of additional grave spaces (and interment fees), depending on the dimensions of the coffin/casket/container. These rules apply to new and previously purchased plots. If you have previously purchased a plot which is unused, this may result in your plot having to be relocated to another part of the cemetery depending on available space surrounding the plot. If the burial is to go in an existing and used family plot but there is not available space around the plots to accommodate a larger coffin, a new plot will have to be purchased.
Updated – April 2020