Some residents are still regularly burning their waste. Tandridge District Council are asking everyone to stop and think about their neighbours. Please don’t have a bonfire.

Bonfires create smoke, cause air pollution and prevent people from being in their gardens and can have a bigger impact at this time.

Coronavirus is known to cause serious respiratory problems, which could be made much worse if the sufferer is exposed to smoke from bonfires.

Bonfires can also become out of control or cause accidents, creating extra pressure on the already busy emergency services.

Please think of others, compost your garden waste where possible and store your rubbish for disposal when the current emergency is over, rather than burn it.

If you are regularly affected by smoke in your home and/or garden you can report this to Tandridge District Council – for more details please visit