Residents and businesses are urged to be vigilant when employing traders to dispose of their waste or risk a fixed penalty fine of £400.
To avoid prosecution, residents and business who are getting someone else to take their waste away should follow these steps:
- Only use a licensed waste carrier – check online if the trader is registered with the Environment Agency at https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/index.
- Get a receipt for any waste taken away by a trader.
Residents and businesses should also be particularly vigilant if a trader knocks on their door and offers to take the waste away.
Flytipping is a blight on the environment and expensive for the taxpayer who ultimately pays for it to be cleared up. That’s why in Surrey 100% of flytippers who go to court are convicted. Punishment can result in a fine of up to £50,000 or 12 months in prison.
To report flytipping in progress call Surrey Police on 999. In other cases:
- Report it online using the flytipping report form at www.tandridge.gov.uk.
- Call Tandridge District Council in confidence on 01883 722000.
- Call the Environment Agency on 0800 807060 if there is a serious pollution risk or a major incident.
- Report it to Surrey County Council at www.surreycc.gov.uk if the flytip is blocking a road.