Even though we’re under national restrictions, you can still do some of your Christmas shopping. Why not give a gift to the planet as well as your loved ones?
Here’s eight easy ways to go green and watch your waste this festive season:
- Avoid buying wrapping paper and cards which are glittery, lined with foil or plastic, or have batteries as these can’t be recycled.
- Try making your own wrapping paper. Watch this short film for tips and ideas.
- Make your own crackers and fill them with non-plastic toys so they can be recycled easily.
- Choose a real Christmas tree. They can be taken to your local community recycling centre, or if you’re a Green Waste Club member, cut it up and put it in your brown wheeled bin for collection. .
- Repair or re-wear festive jumpers rather than buying new.
- Upcycle items you might otherwise throw away and give as gifts.
- Buy presents and decorations from zero waste shops.
- Select energy-saving LED fairy lights and put any broken fairy lights in a tied carrier bag and leave it next to your green food caddy for collection.
For more information and festive tips visit surreyep.org.uk and the Tandridge winter magazine