Cemetery Burial Fees & Regulations
|Purchase of Cemetery Plot – Grant of Exclusive Right of Burial|
|Extension to Exclusive Right of Burial (50 years)||£109||£450|
|Extension to Exclusive Right of Ashes (50 years)||£58||£221|
|Child (up to age 18)||£0||£0|
|Application Fees for the following Permits|
|Memorial Stone Vase or Flat Tablet||£140||£560|
|Kerbing Around Grave||£120||£500|
|Adding Inscription to an Existing Memorial||£65||£250|
|Exclusive Right of Burial Transfer Fee||£90||£90|
|Burial Search Fee||£55||£55|
|Admin Fee||£35 for first hour, £25 per hour thereafter||£35 for first hour, £25 per hour thereafter|
|Bench Memorial Plaque|
|10-year renewal lease||£150||£150|
A Parishioner is defined as an inhabitant whose primary residence is within the defined Nutfield Parish. A stillborn child will qualify if one parent fulfils the definition show above.
A 7 Year Parishioner is defined as a person who is no longer living in the parish but was born or whose primary residence was within the defined Nutfield Parish within the last 7 years. On proof of residency (e.g. council tax, bank statement,electoral roll) a 60% deduction will be applied to the Non-Parishioner Purchase of Plot and Interment fees.
A burial plot can hold a maximum of two burials and has provision for six ashes interments (if notified at time of purchase).
An ashes plot can hold up to a maximum of two interments (if notified at time of purchase).
Reserving any plot (burial or ashes) can be purchased in advance at the rates applicable at the time of the transaction. This is designed to help with future planning and allows Nutfield Parishioners to obtain the advantage of the discounted parishioner rate.
Note – Interment costs do not include the cost of digging/grave preparation.
In these Regulations “Nutfield Burial Board (NBB)” is the operating name of Nutfield Parish Council (NPC), “Grave” means grave, grave space or burial plot and “Memorial” includes headstones, tablets, kerbing / borders etc. In all cases of interment and erection of memorials, the following Regulations must be observed:
- The responsibility for grave digging will rest with the undertaker (where appointed) in conjunction with the NBB approved grave digger. The Grave Digger must ensure each grave is dug in the middle of the defined grave space. After the interment, the grave must be back filled and left undisturbed for 12 months. All excess spoil must be placed in the designated area, otherwise a fee will be
- Graves shall be dug in accordance with current health & safety laws & industry guidelines by a NBB approved grave digger.
- At least 48 hours’ notice (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays) is required of an intended interment. This notice period may be reduced where the NBB deems that it is lawful to do so.
- The hours prescribed for interments are 10.00am to 3.00pm Monday to Friday. If possible, burials outside of the stated times will be allowed by special arrangement and for a payment of an additional fee.
- All fees and charges are payable to NPC. Prior to any Interment or Memorial erection full payment must be confirmed to have been received by NPC.
- All memorials must have prior approval (via the appropriate permit form – available on request) from NBB and the appropriate fee must have been paid (as per point 5) before any erection or alteration. Memorials must be engraved with the plot number (as per point 17). Please see above for the appropriate fee. Benches – Please refer to the ‘Bench policy’.
NBB do not permit inappropriate items within grave spaces. Offending items will be removed.
- Floral arrangements must be maintained by those visiting graves. Floral arrangements will be removed by cemetery staff two weeks after a funeral has taken place. Any floral arrangement may be removed if they become unsightly. All wrappings/ribbons/cellophane must be removed from floral displays prior to placement and disposed of in the appropriate waste bins provided. Cemetery staff will remove any offending items if this regulation is breached. Wreaths will be removed by cemetery staff following a period of one month.
- Weathered artificial flowers will be removed at the discretion of cemetery staff.
- It is not permitted to plant shrubs or trees anywhere in the Nutfield Cemetery, Woodland Burial area or Garden of Remembrance. Any unauthorised planting will be removed.
- Only the following items can be planted on a grave. Non-invasive perennial plants (not exceeding 40cms in height), bedding plants and spring bulbs. Patio roses will be permitted if they are under 40cms in height.
- Authorisation must be obtained from NBB before any work is carried out to any plot.
- The erection of fences, wooden borders, railings or any type of surround is not permitted in or around graves or ashes plots. Only approved kerbing/border stones can be placed for which an appropriate permit (including the fee – see above for appropriate fee) has been issued. Kerbing size is not to exceed: Width 762mm, Length 1981mm & Height 152mm. No vases to be placed on top without the appropriate permit.
- NBB does not permit glass/ceramic vases, jars, toys or ornamental figurines. Balloons, candles, photographs, solar lights and wind chimes are also considered inappropriate and will not be permitted and will be removed.
- The maximum size for a headstone must not exceed 915 mm x 610 mm. Prior approval must be obtained from Nutfield Burial Board for any erection or alteration. The correct fee will need to be paid – see above for appropriate fee.
- The maximum size for a tablet in the Garden of Remembrance must not exceed 460 mm x 310 mm.
- No Headstone, kerbing / border can be erected until a minimum twelve months has elapsed from the date of the interment.
- The plot number must be engraved on the top right-hand side of the rear of the headstone. All graves will be levelled after a minimum period of twelve months by the NBB approved grave digger.
- NBB will not be responsible for any memorial during or after erection. The Owner concerned is solely responsible for the upkeep of the grave. This responsibility will include all maintenance and safety issues following instalment. In default of this, NBB are entitled to remove or repair any memorial as they deem fit. Any costs will be charged to the plot owner
- Graves must be utilized within the period of lease shown on the Grant of Exclusive Right of Burial.
- NBB will not generally consider any refund of fees paid unless fault is found in the NBB procedure. The final decision on the matter will be at the discretion of NPC.
- A search of the NBB registers may be made by appointment with the Nutfield Parish Clerk. An appropriate charge may be levied.
- NBB will advise prospective purchasers which plots are available.
- Any change to an existing grave must have prior written approval from NBB. If applicable the appropriate fee must have been paid.
- Ashes cannot be scattered (either formally or informally) anywhere in the Nutfield Cemetery.
- No use of any pesticides/chemicals (for example, but not limited to, weed killer, slug pellets) are to be used without written permission from NBB.
- The Burial of Ashes is not permitted unless formally authorised in writing by NBB and the appropriate fee has been paid.
- The owner of the Exclusive Right of Burial is responsible for advising NBB of any change of address. Failure to notify us of a new address may result in any remedial action required in respect of the grave plot/memorial having to be taken without reference to the owner.
- Any disputes will be determined by NPC, whose decision will be final.
- Plots purchased in advance are permitted. Fees for advanced purchase will be determined by the parishioner status of the intended occupant.
- At the time of burial the Parishioner/Non-Parishioner fees will correspond to the person interred.
- Coffins in the Cemetery and Woodland Burial area should fit the body and not exceed the standard external size of 600mm (24in) wide x 1980mm (78in) long. Ashes containers should not exceed the external size of 255mm (10in) wide x 305mm (12in) long. Any coffin/casket or container in excess of the stated sizes will require the purchase of additional grave spaces (and interment fees) depending on the dimensions of the coffin/casket/container. These rules apply to new and previously purchased plots. If you have previously purchased a plot which is unused, this may result in your plot having to be relocated to another part of the cemetery depending on available space surrounding the plot. If the burial is to go in an existing and used family plot but there is not available space around the plots to accommodate a larger coffin, a new plot will have to be purchased.
Updated – April 2020